Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What's New

So in the past week we've done some pretty fun stuff. Monday started off like any other Monday. In our house even Early isn't a Monday kitten. (God I totally know how he feels).










But the week went by fast and pretty soon it was Friday. Just in time for the....


MT. VERNON SPRING
WINE FEST

Jim and I attended this Mt. Vernon Spring Wine Fest on Friday. It was a birthday event for our friend Ryan. His girlfriend Kate organized everything and it was tons of fun. Ryan
and Kate have a bunch of cool friends and it was nice to hang out with a big group of young people. The weather was a little chilly (thank God Kate had some extra sweaters in her trunk or I would have frozen to death) but other than that it was beautiful. We sampled wines from 17 different Virginia wineries and bought a few bottles; which we enjoyed with fruit, cheese, and bread while looking out over the Potomac River at sunset. Then we took a candlelight tour of the mansion and the grounds of Mt. Vernon. We can't wait for the Fall Wine Festival. We're hoping to plan a beer festival/camping trip with Ryan and Kate in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I only had my crappy little camera so I didn't take a ton of pictures but here are a few:




















SHEEP! Seriously how cute are they.



















The view from where we were sitting. You can't really tell from this picture but the place was packed. We even saw some of our favorite Boozers, The Gastons!

BITTEN BY THE WINE BUG

Saturday was beautiful and we had some leftover wine from the night before so we decided to have a little picnic on our balcony. We be-bopped over to WFM to get some bread and cheese (didn't get enough of that the night before I guess) as well as some ingredients for a few nice salads.


Marley was invited
















Except:
a) she doesn't look like she is enjoying herself and
b) she looks like she is taking a poop.

Early was NOT invited.
















He is clearly pissed but he doesn't understand that it's NOT OK to attempt to jump off the balcony.
He also doesn't do
very well on his leash (I have no idea why not?).
Besides he has that lovely little "bird on a springy tree" there inside with him.
It even makes noise!

SO anyways. We made our lunch and enjoyed a nice romantical time outside on a Saturday Afternoon.








































(BTW aren't Heirloom tomatoes pretty. Totally took a hint from the Vegan.Chicks.Rock blog)

BLACKBERRY CRUMB BARS

On Sunday I made some yummy blackberry crumb bars out of the Everyday Foods magazine. We ate some and then I
took the rest to work today to share with my team and the 4th floor residents.


















My baking adventure was followed by some knitting.

This is (someday) going to be a washcloth. I love the colors.


















I have this dream to one day replace all of the washcloths (yep all 3) that I own with hand knitted ones.
But then I'm not really sure
if I want that dirty hippie boyfriend of mine showering with them soo....perhaps they'll just be potholders.



















My other knitting project is a bag like the one that my mom made. I LOVE this yarn and I can't wait to get started but I am forcing myself to finish the washcloth/potholder first
.




































So pretty!

TO ROUND IT ALL OUT...

We end tonight with Mr. Crankypants Early Bird in his favorite "WOE IS ME!!!" state.
















3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed with you. Glad Mt. V was fun. Yes, Marley does look like she is dumping on your porch. Dinner looks fun and yummy. I bet Melanie is saying your such a SITC chick. Your knitting is coming along. I hope my teacher is impressed with you also and with the fact that i could actually show you how to knit. You picked it up quicker than I did.

Sudie said...

Awwwww! I want to be invited next time. It looks and sounds like my kind of weekend from beginning to end.

sudiewv said...

I saw Early girl's picture while I was looking for new blogging- give her a hug and you one too! I miss you.