Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Disappointment

I am very disappointed in the people of West Virginia.

And I don't normally say that or feel that way. I'm not even really disappointed that they didn't vote for the candidate I support. I casted my vote and it feels good to know that 91,612 people in the Mountain State feel the same way I do.

I read some stuff that Melissa sent my Mom about the folks in Southern West Virginia's reaction to election/rationale behind who they voted for.

The fact is that I am more angry that they didn't even base their reasoning on logical arguments. And to top it off all of their uneducated assumptions appeared on NPR for the rest of the US to see and poke fun at.

It was ridiculous. There are no other words to sum it up. They make the rest of the State appear uneducated and inarticulate. These are they people that fulfill every stereotype of a West Virginian. Case in point: my Aunt Debbie, a very intelligent and well-spoken lady, is from Man, West Virginia.

For today, at least, I am a resident of Virginia.

Justice (resident of Man, WV): Well, I liked Bill Clinton real well, and I think, I agree with a lot of the things she says. I don't really, I don't know that I agree with a woman president, but if it came down to it, and Obama won the primary, I would vote Republican.

Sale: She says she doesn't believe that Obama is Christian. She believes he's a Muslim. But that's not the only reason she doesn't like him.

Justice: I just don't trust him, I don't know why. He gives me the creeps. And his wife says this is the first time she's ever been proud of America. I don't know how you can be a First Lady and not say you're proud to be an American, you know what I mean? You want to help a country that you're not even proud of? So, I don't know, you know, Hillary screams American, you know.

Quote:

Daniels (another resident of Man, WV): Well, I like Hillary the best, but I couldn't vote for her because she'd be usurping the authority over me. And the man's not supposed to be over…the man's supposed to be over the woman."

Quote:

Blankenship (another resident of Man, WV on his support of McCain): because I think that he'll keep the war going and that'll make more coal be produced.

Sale: More coal?

Blankenship: Mmm-hmm.

Sale: So you're skeptical of the plans to pull out of Iraq. You don't think that'll be good for West Virginia?

Blankenship: Well, there weren't no coal mining jobs until we went into Iraq.

Sale: And Blankenship says he's only had two customers in his barber shop who say they'll vote for Obama if he's the Democratic candidate in the fall. The rest won't. The reason?

Blankenship: I'd say maybe because he's black, most of them."

Sale: Nobody else referred to race on tape when talking about what turned them off about Obama, though one man, once the recorder was turned off, said he's not ready for a black president. And then there's Obama's name.

Mosley: Barack Hussein Obama. They don't like for us to say his name, but it is his name.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm pretty disgusted and disenchanted with NPR at this point. I don't know if they're trying to expand their listenership (is that a word?) or what, but between this interview and a piece they did about Guatemalan adoption, I have all but pushed NPR out of my life. In the case of this story on the WV primary, it seems that NPR found the most biased people they could locate rather than interview people from different parts of the state. It just goes to show that any idiot can carry a microphone around and find another idiot to speak into it, then broadcast it and claim that whatever was spoken is representative of an entire group. I don't think it shows Man, West Virginia, or the good people from there in a poor light. Instead it shows individuals with hangups about race, gender, and (perceived) religion, and a reporter who thought she was being a sensational journalist. It shows the individuals interviewed and NPR in a poor light. I could go on about this forever. Can you tell?